Monday 9 June 2008

Devar's 12 Sprint

Last Sunday, I had 2 invitation to the Devar's 12 Sprint which is being held for the 3rd successive year at the Selangor Turf Club. I was kinda excited because I have never been to a turf club in my life and its a rich man's game depends on how you see it.




Cute invitation card

Since its a VIP event, they gave us a RM6 parking ticket and we do not need to pay another RM6 for entrance as we just need to show them the invitation cards. The fully covered white tent with air-conditioned was set up at the left hand side of the field with a clear view of the race track.


The best shot by the security guard after 3 attempts


Most of the guests are uncles and aunties..we are the youngest there :)


Buffet lunch (Fried calamari, oysters, prawns, mussels, lamb, ice kacang, laksa, bak-chang, special sausages, fried rice, sphagetti, desserts etc etc)


And free flow of Devar's 12

Its free seating so we had to sit with another 8 uncles who speak fluent Hakka and one of them saw me wearing the Polo T with a number 3, he immediately bought the no.3 horse and he lost..


His friend is disappointed with him. By the way, for those who are lazy to step out to watch the race, they can watch the live race on the left tv. The right TV is showing the live race from Hong Kong while the middle one shows the betting odds.


Addict gamblers.


Another view of the turf club


Surrounded by gamblers


Everywhere you go, you can see people holding a book and a pen or staring at the tv for the latest odds.

Since I am here, I should follow the crowd and analyse what they do before they place their bets. After the first 2 races, I noticed that these folks will stand near this area whereby the competing horses will walk in circles so that the the public can analyse the horses from the size etc.


Pick your choice


I think horse no.3 not bad..let's bet on horse no.3!!

Being a newbie, I seriously have no idea on how to bet as there are a few categories for you to choose before telling them which horse you wanna place your bets on. All I know is the minimal bet is RM5 and I just handed the cash over to her and told her that I WANT HORSE NO.3 TO WIN!!! Funny part was she asked which category that I wanted and all I can do is give her the stoned-look as I couldn't hear anything she explained. I just said, ANY WILL DO.



Counters to place your bets.

Race No.3, Horse No.3

Before the race starts, the jockeys will ride around the circle with their horses and the crowd will rush to the side again to look at their pick and start making funny remarks bout their pick and other horses.

Can find horse no.3?



The horses reaching the finishing line...where's my horsie???

MISERABLE 5th place, I think.


The winning horse comes in through this Winners Gate where everyone can catch a glimpse of the jockey and the horse.


Horse no.12



Lucky draw also no luck...Sigh

By the way, there's one race which the horse went cuckoo and ran the opposite way while the other jockeys ride their horses to the starting line. Those gamblers who bet on horse no.12 for that particular race were making hell lots of noise so that this horse will be pulled out from the race and get their refunds back. Haha...horse gone cuckoo

Oh well, it was a memorable experience for me and thanks to Dewar's for organising this event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The english language is not my main language, yet I could comprehend this when using the google translator. Exceptional post, keep these things coming! Appreciate it!